The Baardskeerdersbos Art Route
One of the highlights of the Overberg Arts and Crafts Calender is the Baardskeerdersbos Art Route, and for any art lovers out there this is the very best time to visit Gansbaai!
Started in 2008 the Baardskeerdersbos Art Route, otherwise known to the locals as the B’bos Art Route, allows people a behind the scenes look into the lives and processes of 12 fabulous local artists, and has single handedly put the tiny hamlet of Baardskeerdersbos on the map, so to speak!
The Art route, which is held 3 time a year, takes you on a circular meander around the beautiful little town of Baardskeerdersbos and behind the scenes of the various acclaimed artists who live there. Guests get to view the artists, who use a variety of techniques and mediums to create artworks that adorn homes and galleries around the world, in their homes and work spaces. Whether you enjoy painting, printmaking, sculpture or ceramic works, you will find artists who are prolific in many of these mediums during your day out!
Each artist puts on a solo exhibition, but without the formality of the usual gallery spaces. Guests can sit and chat with the artists while often enjoying a sampling of home made food and drink, which could range from moerkoffie or wine to snacks and home made bread.
Main Artists include:
- Kali van der Merwe – photography, film and graphic media
- Joshua Miles – Oil painting and reduction woodcut printmaking
- Niel Jonker – Oil painting and Bronze Sculpture
- Amanda Jephson – Oil, Acrylic and Graphic media Paintings and drawing
- Lizzie van der Berg – Oil Painting and Gyotaku Printing
- Philip John – Sculpture and drawing
- Ivan Trollop – Oil and acrylic painting
- Jan Vingerhoets – Found object Furniture
- Gareth Williams
- Braam Van Zyl – Painting and drawing
- Kevin de Klerk – 2 dimensional Mixed Media
- Juria Le Roux – Oil painting
The Baardskeerdersbos Art route promises to be a fantastic experience this year with it’s varied collection of artists. And if April is short notice, fret not, because they will be doing it all again in October. If you would like to look at the route map or just find out more about each artist you can go to the Baardskeerdersbos Art Route official site here.